Why you should read/follow this Blog...

As I read the news, or watch it on television, and when I talk to "regular" people, I'm struck by how much they do not know, or worst yet, by what they accept as true, without thinking critically about it. I'd like to help correct this problem. WAKE UP PEOPLE..WE HAVE THE POWER TO FIX THINGS!!!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Money For Defense

as i see it..we do need to spend billions of dollars to keep us safe in a dangerous world. I get that. But how much will ever be "enough"? I was listening to Allan Simpson the other day, who in his very long time in the Senate was very much a backer of Defense Spending. But then we had numerous wars going on including Viet Nam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. But by the end of 2014 we should be all but out of those places. And OK, there are bad people in other places around the world that we should be ready to defend ourselves against, I'm thinking N. Koea, China, even Russia. But we (the American taxpayer) spend more on Defense than the next 20 countries combined, and most of those are our "Allies". If not our Allies, who are we preparing to fight? How much of the spending is truely needed? But woe be the politician who suggests cutting the Defense budget. When we stop military spending we cut off American jobs, and those jobs have been spread so nicely over the country (especially in the districts of powerful politicians). Cutting Defense even when we have more than we will likely ever need is the "3rd Rail" of American politics. Before he left office, President Eisenhower (somewhat of a military man himself) warned us against the growth of the Military Industrial Complex that would get so big, so neccessary to our lives, that it could never come under control. Maybe we have arrived at that point. I hope not.

So what should whoever wins the White House and Senate do next year? Cut the Defense Budget to only TWICE the amount of the next largest spenders. After the HOWLING,renting of garments, and nashing of teeth, tell the Pentagon to figure out the best way to spend that much. Then fully fund Medicare, Social Security, and begin to pay down the National Debt.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I think if we were to quit sending troops over to other countries, it would automatically lower the defense bill. The only time we should be using our soldiers is to defend this country, not to interfere in the civil wars and border skirmishes of other countries.
    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, Thank you for your reply..I think they will go play as long as they have toys. I also think that sometimes we should "interfere," at least indirectly, if somedictator is killing his own people..but there comes a point when we have enough to do all that..and we dont need to go on spending at the expense of other things, like the debt..education..infrastructure..

      Delete
  2. I say slash all that. As a young person I have no desire to pay the retired to just sit around and golf. I'm you, and the old have virtually screwed me. Just so you know brian medicare, social security, and defense all take up about equal portions of our budget. Social Security is screwed hardcore, as is medicare. I mean, why am I pay for an 86 year old to have 3 heart surgeries, it you time to go my friend. At least our military works (well some of the time). It also provides the YOUTH of America places to go. It gives discipline to the disciplines, money to the underprivileged, and jobs to the unemployed. What do Medicare and Social Security do? Leech. That is it. Though, I think we should cut defense to, it makes much more sense both morally and fiscally in my mind to keep it around. For more info click here.

    ReplyDelete